National Certificate: Information Technology: Systems Development
Systems developers are required to create, maintain, audit and improve the IT systems within an organisation. A system developers function can extend to include database management, web programming, multimedia and writing code and more.
The work of an IT systems developer is one that requires a strong technical component and a desire to keep learning. The world of information technology is constantly changing as the world moves rapidly into the digital age.
Who should study this course?
This qualification is for anyone interested in computer programming, website development, ecommerce and wants to be employed in the ICT sector. The careers that the IT Systems Development NQF level 5 qualification will prepare learners for include:
- System Analyst
- System Designer
- System Developer
- System Administrator
- Computer Programmer
- System Analyst
- Web Development & Design
By completing the IT Systems Developer NQF Level 5 qualification, the learner will be able to:
- Communicate effectively with fellow IT staff & users of information systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of different types of computer systems and the use of computer technology in business.
- Demonstrate an understanding of problem solving techniques, and how to apply them in a technical environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Computer Technology Principles.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Computer Programming Principles.
- Work effectively as a team member within a development project environment.
- Carry out, under supervision, a small size task to demonstrate an understanding of the knowledge, techniques & skills needed to understand the fundamentals of Computer Programming.
This National Certificate in IT: System development NQF LEVEL 5 CREDITS 131 (SAQA ID: 48872) carries the MasterGrade IT accreditation with Media, Information and Communication Technologies Sectors Education & Training Authority (MICT SETA).
- Grade 10 (Std. 8), OR
- Must have Further learning competency in End User Computing at NQF level 1, OR
- Must have Further Education and Training certificate band up to NQF level 2 or the equivalent
- Recognition of Prior Learning: for recognition of prior learning, you will be required to submit a portfolio of evidence of relevant experience, in a prescribed format, to be assessed for formal recognition.
When applying for this programme, you must present the following documents:
- A certified copy of the equivalent qualification certificate (not older than 3 months)
- Present verifiable relevant working experience (1 year or more)
- A certified copy of ID (not older than 3 months)
Disclaimer: Your application will be subjected to academic validation and approval before we will grant you access to this online training programme.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit of and complete this programme, you are required to:
- Have a registered email account for notifications and communications
- Have access to a computer/laptop/tablet
- Have a stable internet connection
- Read documents in Adobe Acrobat PDF reader, or a similar PDF viewer
- Have access to the Microsoft Office Suite (inclusive of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or Mac OS Pages Application to create and read documents, as well as have the ability to export documents into PDF files
- Use the latest version of Firefox/Internet Explorer/Chrome web browser when accessing the Virtual Learning Environment
How You Will Learn
This online training qualification is presented through an online interactive learning platform. You will receive academic support and guidance from your Online Course Lecturer and Online Academic Tutor with all Formative and Summative Assessment submissions. You will learn through diverse learning assessment activities, including:
- Accessing your programme notes via the Virtual Learning Environment
- Learning while using our rich-interactive media, such as videos, infographics, gamification tools
- Enjoying the supplementary case-study readings in each module
- Participating and collaborating in discussion forums
This qualification requires that learners must complete and submit an online Portfolio of Evidence (PoE), which includes: Formative and Summative Assessments, to be submitted on the platform, accessible through the MasterGrade IT Online Virtual Learning Environment.
Your Lecturer will assist and guide you through your Assessment Criterion submissions.
(a) Formative Assessments
Your online PoE includes a series of Formative Assessments. Learners must complete and submit all Formative Assessments to be successfully competent at the end of each Specific Outcome in each Learning Unit.
By completing each Formative Assessment, the Lecturer will be able to track and monitor your performance on the learning programme. Your Lecturer will provide you with feedback on your Formative Assessment.
(b) Summative Assessments
Your online PoE includes a series of Summative Assessments. The purpose of the Summative Assessments is to evaluate your competences at the end of each learning unit. You are to meet the requirements of the Assessment Criterion and its specific outcomes.
MICT SETA will provide you with your Statement of Results, indicating the unit standard in which you have been found competent in this particular qualification. You will also receive a Statement of Results from MasterGrade IT Correspondence . Your Certificate of Competence will be issued by MICT SETA.